How to maintain your CPAP maskMediKart Team
Continuous positive airway pressure therapy machines, or CPAP machines, is a treatment option for people who suffer from sleep apnea. Using trustworthy CPAP equipment is essential for effectively managing the hazardous symptoms and health repercussions of obstructive sleep apnea. It’s critical to keep the CPAP machine clean. It is often good for removing foul odours, and musty aromas, extending the life of the appliance, and keeping the guarantee. Cleaning the mask and hose is vital since it aids in the following:
- Prevent mold and bacteria from growing.
- Reduce the amount of allergens in the environment,
- Mineral deposits must be removed.
- Reduce your chances of getting a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, or pneumonia by using these tips.
- Maintain the equipment’s functionality.
The CPAP mask is an important part of your CPAP therapy which delivers air from the CPAP machine to your nose and mouth. Cleaning and maintaining this part of the CPAP machine is the most important as it goes right on your face. Regular cleanings are recommended by CPAP machine manufacturers. They advise washing the mask, tubing, and CPAP humidifier chamber at least once a week. Rinsing the mask and hose on a regular basis is also a good habit to keep them clean in the meantime. If you are unwell, experts advise that you wash the portions out every day.
Steps to clean a CPAP mask and hose
- First, unplug the device and take off the mask and hose to be cleaned.
- Then, make a soapy solution using warm water and a few drops of mild dish soap. Instead of using soap, you can also make a 1:1 solution with white vinegar.
- Place the mask in the solution. Allow the mask to soak for a few minutes and make sure that the water and soap (or vinegar) are allowed to flow through the entire length of the hose as well.
- Use a cloth or sponge to wipe off all the external surfaces of the mask and the hose.
- Rinse each part with clean water.
- Use a clean towel to remove any excess water and pat each piece dry.
- Then, let them air dry for about an hour.
- Once the parts are fully dry, carefully put them back together. Refer to the instruction manual if you are unsure how to reassemble the CPAP pieces correctly.
- Quickly turn on the device machine to make sure that it runs and that there are not any air leaks.
CPAP machines in India
Cleaning your CPAP mask is of utmost importance more so in a country like ours with so much dirt around our surroundings and the harsh hot weather. CPAP masks should be replaced every 3 months and cleaned regularly.
I hope this article helps you in your CPAP journey!