All you need to know about Oxygen concentratorsMediKart Team
All you need to know about Oxygen concentrators
where to buy an oxygen concentrator, An oxygen concentrator is a medical device that provides supplemental or extra oxygen to people with breathing issues. The device works by filtering and concentrating oxygen molecules from the ambient air to provide 90-95% pure oxygen to patients with low oxygen levels. In today’s unpredictable time, this medical device is of utmost importance with the pandemic (COVID-19) just off our heads. The demand for this product skyrocketed in the past 2 years and tons of new manufacturers emerged with this spike in demand.
Oxygen concentrator brands
- Philips Respironics – Philips Respironics oxygen concentrators are very popular worldwide and especially in India because of their large network of dealers and quality products. The most popular and reliable oxygen concentrator is Philip’s Everflo which provides 5 liters of pure oxygen with ease.
- Drive DeVilbiss – Drive DeVilbiss is a renowned brand in the oxygen concentrator market with customers across the globe and on the rise. The company has a complete line of durable products with a dealer network that’s exponentially rising.
- Inogen – The US imports Inogen Oxygen machines to India, and their product is widely used. The Inogen At Home 5 LPM oxygen machine would set you back Rs. 1.75 lakh-1.95 lakh, which is more than three times the cost of any other 5 LPM oxygen machine on the market in India.
- Airsep – Airsep, known for its dependable products, has been one of the oldest players in the oxygen concentrator market. Airsep Newlife Elite is one of the most reliable oxygen concentrators in the Indian market. Its rivals now have a smaller size and lower power consumption, rendering it outdated.
- Invacare – Invacare is a popular brand in India. Invacare oxygen concentrators are known for being affordable and reliable
- Oxymel – Oxymed oxygen concentrator’s price is the lowest among all other good-quality oxygen concentrators in the market. It is the fastest-growing brand in India.
- Nidek – Nidek medical oxygen concentrators are popular in the market for their good quality and proven durability. The US imports these oxygen concentrators into India. The company has dealers and offices all across India and hence is widely available in India.
How to use an oxygen concentrator
- Turn ON the primary power source to which the Oxygen Concentrator’s power wire is connected.
- Place the machine in a well-ventilated area, preferably 1-2 feet away from the wall, with unobstructed access to the intake and exhaust.
- The humidifier should be connected (Usually required for Continuous Oxygen flow of more than 2-3 LPM)
- Please ensure proper installation by installing the particle filter.
- Connect the Nasal Cannula/Mask and check for kinks in the tubing.
- Press the ‘Power’ button/switch on the machine to start it up.
- On the flow matter, set the oxygen flow as prescribed by the doctor.
- Inserting the outlet of the Nasal Cannula into a glass of water causes oxygen to bubble out and ensures the flow.
- Using the Nasal Cannula/Mask, take a deep breath.
Factors to consider while choosing an oxygen concentrator
The flow rate capabilities are easily one of the most significant elements to consider when selecting an oxygen concentrator. In fact, the machine moves oxygen to the patient at a certain rate, which is referred to as the flow rate.
The size of an oxygen concentrator and the settings you use determine its wattage. It will not run on batteries if you want to use a stationary oxygen concentrator. Designers create them for people who need more oxygen, making them larger and heavier. You can use a concentrator that runs on batteries if your oxygen needs are low and consistent.
Oxygen machines filter the surrounding air and supply oxygenated air with a predetermined percentage of oxygen to the user. Oxygen concentration is what we know it as. The oxygen concentration levels are usually between 87 and 99 percent, which is the same as the oxygen concentration in an oxygen cylinder. Patients with chronic respiratory difficulties require the highest oxygen concentration possible to breathe.
When looking for an oxygen machine, one of the first and most significant things to consider is how mobile you’ll need your machine to be. Additionally, it’s important to consider the oxygen flow rate and battery life. Another important factor to consider is the noise level of the concentrator. The size and portability of the oxygen machine can vary greatly.
Only buy from well-known brands. Oxygen machines are available throughout the country from a variety of brands and websites. Not all of them guarantee high quality. Medikart, Philips, and a few brands are the most popular in India.
The oxygen concentrator’s capacity must be greater than your requirement. Moreover, if you need a 3.5 LPM oxygen machine, you should get a 5 LPM machine. Similarly, if you need a 5 LPM concentrator, you should get an 8 LPM machine.
There are numerous online and offline sellers of respiratory care goods, and big discounts are frequently available. However, before you go out and buy an oxygen machine, you should have a rough sense of how much each variety costs. Specifically, it is important to consider factors such as quality, features, and brand reputation when making your decision.