An oxygen concentrators is a medical device that provides supplemental or extra oxygen to people with breathing issues. The device works by filtering and concentrating oxygen molecules from the ambient air to provide 90-95% pure oxygen to patients with low oxygen levels. In today’s unpredictable time this medical device is of utmost importance with the pandemic (COVID19) just off of our heads. The demand for this product skyrocketed in the past 2 years and tons of new manufacturers emerged with this spike in demand.
Types of oxygen concentrators
On the basis of mobility:
- Portable oxygen concentrators – A portable oxygen concentrator is a device that draws pure oxygen from the
environment for delivery to patients. It is smaller in size and more mobile.
- Stationary/ Home oxygen concentrator – A stationary oxygen concentrator is a device that draws pure oxygen from
the environment and delivers it to patients. It is mmuch heavier and bulkier and can deliver oxygen at higher flow
On the basis of capacity:
- 5L oxygen concentrator – A 5L oxygen concentrator can provide 5 liters of oxygen per minute.
- 10L oxygen concentrator – A 10L oxygen concentrator can provide upto 10 liters of oxygen per minute.
On the basis of flow:
- Continuous flow oxygen concentrator – A continuous flow oxygen concentrator delivers oxygen steadily and continuously at a specified rate
- Pulse dose oxygen concentrator – A pulse flow oxygen concentrator delivers oxygen in puffs or pulses with each breath and only during inhalation.
Oxygen concentrators brands
- Philips respironics – Philips respironics oxygen concentrators are very popular worldwide and especially in India because of their large network of dealers and quality products. The most popular and reliable oxygen concentrator is Philip’s Everflo which provides 5 liters of pure oxygen with ease.
Drive Devilbiss Oxygen concentrators
- Drive DeVilbiss – Drive DeVilbiss is a renowned brand in the oxygen concentrator market with customers across the globe and on the rise. The company has a complete line of durable products with a dealer network that’s exponentially rising.
Devilbiss 10 Liter Home Oxygen Concentrator, built to provide excellent oxygen delivery for patients having different requirements. DeVilbiss 1025 Compact machine is one of the best therapy machines in India. It provides pure oxygen till 10 LPM and fulfills your oxygen requirement without any discomfort while on Oxygen therapy. To know Oxygen Concentrator Price in Delhi, one has to visit medikart.co.in the portal. Weighing at 18 Kg, it is the world’s most compact & lightweight home oxygen therapy machine, which makes the DeVilbiss Concentrator easier to transfer from room to room. Capable of delivering 87% to 96% of Oxygen purity from 2 to 10 LPM, which fulfills your oxygen need. Equipped with accessible patient controls, LEDs that can be seen from a distance, protected cannula fitting, and a humidifier to prevent damage.
It comes with 2 years of warranty.
- Inogen – Inogen Oxygen concentrators are imported to India from the US. Their product line includes high-end and top notch products but is known to be slightly over-priced in the Indian market. The Inogen At Home 5 LPM oxygen concentrator would set you back Rs. 1.75 lakh-1.95 lakh, which is more than three times the cost of any other 5 LPM oxygen concentrator on the market in India.
- Airsep – Airsep is one of the oldest players in the oxygen concentrator market and is known for its dependable products. Airsep Newlife Elite is one of the most reliable oxygen concentrators in the Indian market. It is now outdated because of its bulky size and higher power consumption than its rivals.
- Invacare – Invacare is a popular brand in India. Invacare oxygen concentrators atre known for being affordable and reliable
- Oxymed – Oxymed oxygen concentrator’s price is the lowest among all other good-quality oxygen concentrators in the market. It is the fastest growing brand in India.
- Nidek – Nidek medical oxygen concentrators are popular in the market for their good quality and proven durability. These oxygen concentrators are imported in India for the US. The company has dealers and offices all across India and hence are widely available in India.
How to use an oxygen concentrators
- Turn ON the primary power source to which the Oxygen Concentrator’s power wire is connected.
- Place the machine in a well-ventilated area, preferably 1-2 feet away from the wall, with unobstructed access to the intake and exhaust.
- The humidifier should be connected (Usually required for Continuous Oxygen flow more than 2-3 LPM)
- Make sure the particle filter is installed.
- Connect the Nasal Cannula/Mask and check for kinks in the tubing.
- Press the ‘Power’ button/switch on the machine to start it up.
- On the flow-meter, set the oxygen flow as prescribed by the doctor.
- By inserting the outlet of the Nasal Cannula into a glass of water, Oxygen will bubble out and the flow will be ensured.
- Using the Nasal Cannula/Mask, take a deep breath.
Factors to consider while choosing an oxygen concentrators
The flow rate capabilities are easily one of the most significant elements to consider when selecting an oxygen concentrator. The rate at which oxygen may move from the machine to the patient is referred to as flow rate.
An oxygen concentrator’s wattage is determined by its size and the settings you use. It will not run on batteries if you want to use a stationary oxygen concentrator. They are designed for people who require more oxygen and are therefore larger and heavier. You can use a concentrator that runs on batteries if your oxygen needs are low and consistent.
Oxygen concentrators filter the surrounding air and supply oxygenated air with a predetermined percentage of oxygen to the user. This is what is known as oxygen concentration. The oxygen concentration levels are usually between 87 and 99 percent, which is the same as the oxygen concentration in an oxygen cylinder. Patients with chronic respiratory difficulties require the highest oxygen concentration possible to breathe.
When looking for oxygen concentrators, one of the first and most significant things to consider is how mobile you’ll need your concentrator to be. The size and portability of oxygen concentrators can vary greatly.
Only buy from well-known brands. Oxygen concentrators are available throughout the country from a variety of brands and websites. Not all of them guarantee high quality. Medikart, Philips, and a few brands are the most popular in India.
The oxygen concentrator’s capacity must be greater than your requirement. For example, If you need a 3.5 LPM oxygen concentrator, you should get a 5 LPM concentrator. In the same way, if you need a 5 LPM concentrator, you should get an 8 LPM machine.
There are numerous online and offline sellers of respiratory care goods, and big discounts are frequently available. Before you go out and buy an oxygen concentrator, you should have a rough sense of how much each variety costs.