National Safe Motherhood Day: Empowering WomenManoj Kukreja
National Safe Motherhood Day is celebrated annually in India on April 11 to raise awareness about the importance of maternal health and to address the issues related to the health of pregnant women and new mothers. The day was first observed in 2003 by the Indian government to reduce maternal mortality rates and improve maternal health out comes.
The Need for Safe Motherhood:
Maternal mortality rates in India have been a cause of concern for decades. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), India accounts for 15% of the world’s maternal deaths. Many of these deaths are preventable with timely medical intervention, adequate healthcare facilities, and improved access to reproductive healthcare.
The Importance of National Safe Motherhood Day:
National Safe Motherhood Day aims to promote maternal health and highlight the importance of safe motherhood. Additionally, the day aims to create awareness and address the challenges faced by pregnant women and new mothers. Furthermore, it celebrates the tireless efforts of healthcare professionals and organizations in providing quality maternal healthcare services.
Key Objectives of National Safe Motherhood Day:
- To create awareness about the importance of safe motherhood and maternal health.
- To promote the availability and accessibility of quality maternal healthcare services.
- To address the challenges and issues related to maternal health.
- To improve the health and well-being of pregnant women and new mothers.
- To empower women with information and resources related to safe motherhood.
Initiatives by the Indian Government:
The Indian government has launched several initiatives to improve maternal health and reduce maternal mortality rates. Some of the key initiatives include:
- Janani Suraksha Yojana: A scheme that provides cash incentives to pregnant women who give birth in health facilities and promotes institutional deliveries.
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana: A scheme that provides financial assistance to pregnant and lactating women for their first live birth.
- National Health Mission: A program that aims to provide accessible, affordable, and quality healthcare services to all.
National Safe Motherhood Day is an important day that highlights the need for safe motherhood and maternal health. Maternal healthcare services need improvement, and we can do this by creating awareness, addressing challenges faced by pregnant women and new mothers, and promoting quality services that are accessible. By empowering women with resources and information related to safe motherhood, we can enhance the health and well-being of mothers. This will ensure a better future for our society.
Leave a Reply